Tom Joad's Place

Welcome to Tom Joad's Place! Join me for political discussion and banter on important national subjects and VA politics. I've also noticed that there are a lot of people looking for information on "Grapes of Wrath". Look for the sidebar and we'll discuss. Contact Kevin, at applejackking@hotmail.com

Name:
Location: Fairfax, Virginia, United States

Monday, May 22, 2006

One in 136 are in Jail


Land of the free?

"Prisons and jails added more than 1,000 inmates each week for a year, putting almost 2.2 million people, or one in every 136 U.S. residents, behind bars by last summer.

The total on June 30, 2005, was 56,428 more than at the same time in 2004, the government reported Sunday. That 2.6 percent increase from mid-2004 to mid-2005 translates into a weekly rise of 1,085 inmates."


There's nothing much to say except for the fact that under this Republican administraton we are supposed to feel safer. But isn't the fact that we are incarcerating more people tell us that we are failing in our responsibility to treat the root causes of crime? Where's the money for education? Social Services? Health care? They're not a part of this Republican administration. They would rather give money back to the rich instead of making education more affordable.

I leave you with a song and these words.

"I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me
And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA"

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory