Tom Joad's Place

Welcome to Tom Joad's Place! Join me for political discussion and banter on important national subjects and VA politics. I've also noticed that there are a lot of people looking for information on "Grapes of Wrath". Look for the sidebar and we'll discuss. Contact Kevin, at applejackking@hotmail.com

Name:
Location: Fairfax, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What does our time stuck in traffic cost?


From The Washington Post:

"Del. William R. Janis (R-Goochland) said the Senate vote should end consideration of tax increases for the year.

"I'm encouraged by the fact that the Senate has removed their increased taxes and that they've realized that when you're running a budget surplus and gas prices are at $3 a gallon, it's no time to raise taxes," Janis said."

I couldn't find a study on this subject so I'm going to have to use my experience as an example.

Does my time stuck in traffic amount to a tax increase? If I had to put an amount on my time at an hourly rate, I would say it's about $20-25 dollars an hour. This is time that I could be making money tutoring, writing a paper or doing research for my Master's, and spending time with my girlfriend and family. So if I spend six hours a week stuck in traffic, then I am having a "tax" of 120-150 dollars each week being placed upon me. Yearly cost: $6240-7800. So the House of Delegates is effectively placing a tax upon us by not passing a budget that has a more funding for roads.

I know what I'll be doing in 2007. I'll be working on as many campaigns I can in my spare time to defeat anybody who is an impediment to a comprehensive transportation plan. I hope there are many people out there like me who value their time that will be with me on this venture.

Thoughts?

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory