Tom Joad's Place

Welcome to Tom Joad's Place! Join me for political discussion and banter on important national subjects and VA politics. I've also noticed that there are a lot of people looking for information on "Grapes of Wrath". Look for the sidebar and we'll discuss. Contact Kevin, at applejackking@hotmail.com

Name:
Location: Fairfax, Virginia, United States

Thursday, June 19, 2008

All in Hillary's name?

There's an excellent post at MyDD about Hillary supporters who are now siding with McCain to get back at the Democratic Party and Barack Obama.

After Hillary came out after the primary season, she made a stirring speech to unite the Democratic Party for a sole purpose of winning the presidency in 2008. I thought it was one of the most gracious and eloquent speeches she has ever made and I would have loved to have had her as the first woman president in the history of the United States.

But that's not happening. Barack Obama will be the nominee. Yet, we still have people who are fighting as if there are primaries left to decide. People who are fighting this process are no longer grieving. They are angry and they intend to try and take down the Democratic Party.

These people have to recognize, as I'm confident they do, that they are no longer supporting Hillary by working against Obama. They are in essence working for John McCain. They are diametrically opposed to anything that Hillary stands for by supporting McCain. They want the Supreme Court to nominate conservative judges so they can alter this country for the next 20-30 years. They want to stay in Iraq for however long John McCain wants. They want to invade Iran. They want to continue the same economic policies that will continue the disparity between the have and have-nots.

The people who consider themselves PUMAs talk about party unity by pointing out flaws with Barack Obama's campaign. Some are legit. Some are just flights of fancy. These same people use insulting terms such as "Obamatron" or "Obamabot" to imply that we were duped by Obama's charm instead of his actual policies.

Why not just kick me in the balls, ask me if I'm ok, and then say "Do you want a beer?" as if nothing happened? I'm all willing to give respect and I'd me more than willing to do it sight unseen. But to insult me and other Obama supporters and then wonder why there is no unity is borderline idiotic.

Are people that consider themselves Democrats who insist on attacking Obama doing this because of Hillary? Hillary isn't asking them to do it. So the only conclusion I can come to is that they want Obama to lose so they can say, "I told you so." Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory